This warming spicy sausage casserole is very suitable for the colder months of the year. Feel free to replace the sausages with a meat-free variety or leave them out to make this vegetarian-friendly!
I’m using sausages from Grandad’s Sausages and they are really amazing. I really recommend trying them as they don’t skimp on flavours and the sausages remain moist after cooking! They are based locally in Bury too! The vegetables were from my vegetable box from Veg Box People!
Spicy sausage casserole with couscous
For the couscous
- 200 g couscous
- 250 ml vegetable stock
For the casserole
- 4 spicy sausages I used Grandad's Pork and Fiery Chilli sausages
- 1 tbsp oil of choice
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic diced finely
- 1 large carrot cubed
- 2 medium stalk celery cubed
- 300 g/1 can mixed beans or kidney beans drained
- 400 g/1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chilli powder optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the couscous then put it into a bowl. Add the stock and leave whilst you make the casserole.
- Cook the sausages in a pan or under a grill, then slice into 1cm pieces and set aside.
- Fry the garlic and onion in the oil for a minute.
- Add the celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the sliced sausages, chopped tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Taste and add chilli powder if you want.
- Add the beans and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fluff couscous with a fork, then serve along with sausage casserole.